Why Choose Production-Scale Coating Services from Kodak?
Leave it to Kodak to manufacture your product and take advantage of more than a century of materials and roll-to-roll manufacturing expertise. Kodak's intense focus on manufacturing excellence with Six-Sigma Black Belt, Lean Manufacturing, and Product Commercialization expertise helps us optimize the manufacturing operation and resolve even the most complex technical issues. This quality focus - coupled with a long-standing tradition of meeting and exceeding health, safety and environmental regulations to ensure the safety of our workforce, customers and the environment - is a tradition that few can match.
But that’s not all we have to offer...
Consider combining Kodak’s roll-to-roll manufacturing capability with the high-volume chemical manufacturing capability that exists on the same site. This combination offers a unique opportunity to significantly lower your overall product costs.....an advantage that becomes even more significant when any of your constituent materials or processes are designated as hazardous.
Adding to this roll-to-roll and chemical manufacturing capability is Kodak’s state-of-the- art analytical testing and product commercialization services. These services are also available on the same site, making Kodak your "one-stop shop" to take your product from concept to the end customer with world-class quality at the lowest possible manufacturing cost.
Production coating using gravure
Kodak has successfully used gravure printing to manufacture a wide variety of products for demanding photographic applications for more than 25 years. We offer a roll-to-roll (R2R) manufacturing process for coating or printing a vast number of solvent systems onto substrates as thin as 4.5 microns (18-gage) in a safe and cost-effective manner.
Our process is capable of applying up to 8 distinct functional layers on webs 1.6 meters wide and at speeds up to 330 meters per minute. We use lean manufacturing techniques and employ state-of-the-art process control to enable world-class product quality and consistency.
Gravure coating Capabilities
- Unwinding/Winding: Dual-spindle turret style Unwinder and Winder with line speed splicing, Maximum wound roll diameter 915mm
- Conveyance: Web thickness range 2 - 250 microns, Printing speeds 60 - 300 m/min, web width 1000 - 1635mm,
Active web guiding capability < />
- Coating: Eight (8) station press, Front and back side coating capability, printing registration <0.5mm in="" machine="" and="" cross="" web="" directions,="" nitrogen="" purge,="" doctor="" blade="" design,="" active="" static="" control,="" quick="" change-over="">
- Drying: 13m dryer length, Impinged air drying, 200°F maximum temperature capability, HEPA filtered air supply
- Quality: Online vision system for web quality inspection, Sample slitter on Winder for immediate quality samples and testing
- Emissions: 100% solvent capture with Regenerative Thermal Oxidizer (RTO) for solvent emissions control
Solution Mixing Capabilities
- Enclosed 150- and 400-gallon mixing vessels with temperature control
- Eduction capability for introduction of dry or wet materials into mixing vessels
- Automatic vessel cleaning process to ensure solution quality
- Bulk holding tank capability to accommodate a large variety of solvents
- Multiple powder handling systems with precise batch weighing capability
- Small and custom solution batch preparation for special applications
- In-line filtration capability to maintain solution quality
- Solution sampling with in-process testing capability on site
- Dedicated solution delivery system for each coating station with active flow, temperature and viscosity control
- Recipe-driven process control for repeatable preparation of solution batches
Quality Testing & Analytical Capabilities
Kodak has the quality testing and analytical capabilities to ensure that your product meets the strictest performance specifications and quality requirements. Our testing capabilities range from raw materials characterization and analysis through final product quality and appraisal.
On-site labs offer a broad range of specialized test equipment, instrumentation, and testing methods to provide timely data and information for troubleshooting and quality control. And our experienced lab technicians use proven scientific methods that meet accredited testing and measurement industry standards.
Converting & Product Assembly Capabilities
Kodak has over 100 years of converting experience in roll-to-roll slitting, rewinding, and packaging of products to meet the exacting dimensional tolerances of the imaging and printing industries. Our slitting and spooling equipment is capable of converting a wide range of materials including plastic films, thin papers and thin gage metals and foils, among others.
Additionally, Kodak has available space to locate any unique final assembly process that your product might require. Locating your final assembly process on the same site that your critical film component is manufactured can significantly lower the overall manufacturing cost of your product. Contact us to find out how Kodak can create a more efficient and cost-effective manufacturing system for your business.
Director, Kodak Coating and Product Commercialization