ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper
Questions and Answers
- What does new KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper offer? How does it compare to the previous generation of ENDURA Metallic Paper?
New KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper has redesigned emulsion components. This paper is designed for digital printers, and is compatible with both internal and external color-managed digital exposure systems.
ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper is similar in performance to ENDURA Metallic Paper, but with major improvements:
In addition, ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper offers the same features as the previous generation:
- 10% increase in color gamut
- Up to a 10% reduction in developer replenishment rate
- Improved digital fringing performance
- Improved printer calibration robustness
*Based on product application including specific light levels and temperature conditions.
- Striking, distinctive metallic look
- State-of-the-art image keeping*
- Process robustness
- Intense blacks
- What do you mean by internal color-managed digital exposure systems?
Most digital printers have color-management capability built into their software. ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper is fully compatible with these printers.
- Who can benefit from KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper?
Labs and photographers can offer something exciting and different to their clients, as well as gain some incremental business — potential commercial sales interest for standard and pop-up displays and portrait print options.
- For what applications can I use this paper?
Uses are limited only by your imagination for a variety of portrait and commercial applications. In the portrait/social imaging businesses, examples include senior portraits, sports cards, weddings, glamour shots, and special events. In the commercial arena, there are a multitude of applications where a metallic or pearlescent look may be desired as well as a rigid base material. Pop-up displays, eye-catching point of sale, and commercial print runs, are just a few examples.
- Does KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper work with all variations of Process RA-4? Are any special procedures needed?
This paper will work in all variations of Process RA-4, similar to KODAK PROFESSIONAL SUPRA ENDURA VC Digital Paper as it uses the SUPRA Paper emulsion.
- Where can I find processing specifications for KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper?
You can find the process steps and conditions for this paper in KODAK Publication No. Z-130
, Using KODAK EKTACOLOR RA Chemicals.
- What is the display longevity? Is it the same as other KODAK color negative papers?
This paper will perform in a similar fashion to KODAK PROFESSIONAL SUPRA ENDURA VC Digital Paper, since it shares this emulsion. ENDURA Papers offer state-of-the-art image keeping (100 years before fading in typical home display and 200 years dark storage under the most common storage conditions). For details about the longevity of KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Media in specific applications, see the
and the White Paper - Defining Print Longevity (PDF)
- What are the proper exposure and emulsion balancing conditions for KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper?
Always keep film negatives and the optical system of the printing equipment clean. Mask negatives to eliminate stray light when necessary. Adjust the printing exposure to produce satisfactory density.
This paper is designed for digital printers.
It is compatible with KODAK and other manufacturers' equipment. Refer to KODAK Publication CIS-285
, Calibration Routines for KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper. For calibration information, contact the printer manufacturer.
When exposed optically the image will likely appear different, including higher contrast and, if balanced on flesh tones, the neutrals will be colder, slightly cyan.
- What are the storage and handling conditions for KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper?
In general, store unexposed paper between 5 and 20°C (40 and 68°F) in the original sealed package. However, you can keep this paper at temperatures up to 25°C (78°F) for up to 6 months and still obtain optimum print quality. A balancing change may be necessary to compensate for speed changes in paper held at room temperature for longer times.
- What KODAK digital printers can I use to print on KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper?
Use any of these KODAK Printers:
- KODAK PROFESSIONAL RR 30, RP 30 and SRP 30 Laser Printers
- KODAK PROFESSIONAL RP 50 LED Printer
- KODAK PROFESSIONAL LED Digital Color Printer 20R
- KODAK PROFESSIONAL LED II Color Printer 20R and 20P
- KODAK LF CRT-based printers such as KODAK PROFESSIONAL Digital Multiprinter
- Can I use KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper in other manufacturers' digital printers?
Yes, this paper is compatible with most manufacturers' digital printers. Kodak has tested this paper in the following devices. If you do not see your printer on this list, contact your equipment manufacturer for information:
Kodak has worked with many digital printer manufacturers to establish aims for ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper. There may be other digital printers that are compatible that we have not tested. For aims and printing information for your printer, contact your equipment manufacturer.
- OCÉ LIGHTJET
- FUJI FRONTIER
- GRETAG Net
- NORITSU QSS
- POLIELETTRONICA Laser Lab
- ZBE CHROMIRA
- Are there any issues using KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper in digital printers or processing devices?
Due to the unique reflective characteristics of KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper, it may require one or two extra calibration runs. If an extra calibration run is unsuccessful, it may require calibrating your device on KODAK PROFESSIONAL SUPRA ENDURA VC Paper, and then replacing it with KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper.
We also recommend using sharpened cutting equipment. The effects of dull cutting blades are more noticeable with this paper than with traditional papers because of its tear-resistant characteristics.
- What is the safelight recommendation?
Do not use a safelight with this paper. Handle unprocessed paper in total darkness. This paper is sufficiently sensitive to photographic safelights that sensitometric shifts may occur before an increase in minimum density (fog) becomes visible. If a safelight is absolutely necessary, use a KODAK 13 Safelight Filter (amber) with a 7 1/2-watt bulb no closer than 4 feet (1.2 m) from the paper. Keep safelight exposure as short as possible. For information on testing safelights, see KODAK Publication No. K-4, How Safe is Your Safelight?
- Can I retouch this paper?
Digitally retouching the file is the preferred technique. KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper can be retouched, but how well will depend on the skill of the retoucher.
- Where can I get more information on this paper?
For technical information, see KODAK Publication E-4047
, KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper.
- What are some of the benefits to the lab?
The most significant benefits seen by labs with KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic VC Digital Paper have been:
Additional benefits are:
- Attracting new clients especially in commercial applications
- Being able to offer different and distinctive products, and hence, increase customer value
- Exceptional performance with state-of-the-art image keeping
- 10% reduction in developer replenishment rate
- Improved printer calibration robustness
- What images/photos work best with this paper?
Images with a metallic or satin sheen to them, images with metallic, glossy objects, bright colors, particularly yellow, orange, red and high contrast images work best.
- What's the best way to optimize the effect in displaying the paper?
A slightly convex mount or display will best demonstrate the metallic/pearlescent effect. Consideration should be given to mounting this way for retail/commercial displays.
- Are replenishment rates the same?
Replenishment rates are similar to those for other KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Papers. Developer replenishment rate is about 10% lower than with the previous KODAK PROFESSIONAL ENDURA Metallic Paper.