DCS 520 Questions
Differences between Canon and Kodak cameras?
- It was jointly developed with Canon using Kodak's innovative digital
imaging technologies and Canon's lenses. Canon is selling an EOS-D2000.
(the only difference is the name)
What did Kodak do to make this camera unique? Canon?
- Canon created the base camera system for professional lenses, viewfinder
technology and camera metering. Kodak drove the user interface and image
acquisition software. The technology underpinnings are based on over
30 Kodak patents as developed by specifications determined by leading
photojournalists. Additional enhancements to Kodak's first fully integrated
digital camera include an increased burst rate, increased speed, enhanced
blue channel, color LCD, anti-aliasing capabilities, truer colors, and
lighter weight. Finally, the sensor in the 520 is a patented Kodak product;
one of over 30 patents in the camera.
Can I use my current Canon lenses?
- Yes, as long as they are EOS lenses.
Do cameras require special care taken when using in the
- As with any camera, certain care must be taken. However, these cameras
were developed to withstand temperature extremes and the environments
that photojournalists typically work in. The DCS 520 can withstand from
17 degrees up through 95 degrees Fahrenheit.
How much time between pictures taken?
- The camera can take 12 images before it writes out to the PC card.
The camera allows you to take 3.5 frames per second.
Can I buy the PCMCIA storage cards in retail outlets?
- Yes, most PC card flash (Type II) and hard drive (Type III) products
that are compatible with the full ATA standard will format and work
in the camera.
Will the camera be at trade shows for demos?
- Yes, Kodak has committed significant resources to the DCS 520 and
will provide product demonstrations at tradeshows as well as through
qualified Kodak resellers. The first public showing of the DCS 520 will
be at the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) conference in New Orleans
on February 12-15, 1998.
How many pictures can I store on one card?
- This is contingent upon the size of the PC Card being used. The 340-megabyte
PC Card hard drives available today will hold 199 images.
Is the ISO set or variable?
- It is a 200-1600 variable.
Difference between today's sensor and the old sensor?
- New CCD sensor with improvement from 1.3 to 2 megapixels, greater
blue channel response.
What is the histogram and the highlight option?
- The Highlight option allows the photographer to review a thumbnail
image and quickly and accurately judge the exposure. The benefit is
that over- or under-exposed image areas are represented by alternating
pixels that reliably represent areas where details have been lost due
to exposure. The histogram is a graph that visually shows the distribution
of gray scale values among an image's pixels based upon the captured
file. At the push of a button, photographers have tools to support their
Length of warranty?
- The length of warranty is 180 days after purchase in the United States.
The warranty in Japan is one year. Each region determines its own length
Is the warranty for global use?
- Yes, Kodak supports all products globally.
Where is the camera made?
- The Canon camera body is made in Tokyo; the sensor assembly, the
integrated electronics and the software are assembled and tested in
Where can I get the camera?
- From Kodak authorized resellers.
Why buy a Kodak digital camera when traditional cameras
will do the same?
- Digital cameras offer the freedom, performance and quality required
by today's photojournalists who need to quickly capture images and share
them via advanced computer technology (i.e. Internet).
What are the advantages of the API?
- No other digital camera manufacturer offers the sophisticated software
tool that talks to all levels of the DCS camera platform through a common
interface. Developers, sophisticated end users and applied imaging professionals
can easily integrate Kodak cameras into their applications.
What is IEEE 1394? Why is it important?
- It is a high-speed serial interface that provides an easier and faster
way to connect hardware and software. In its most basic understanding,
IEEE 1394 will allow hardware components to "talk" to each other. A
main benefit of this new technology will be faster transfer of digital
images to the host.
How do I get images from my camera to on my computer?
- On a workstation: through an internal PC Card reader, and external
SCSI PC Card reader, or an IEEE 1394 interface card (until new computers
have integrated IEEE 1394 in their system architecture). On a laptop:
most PC laptops have PC card readers built into them. Until the PC industry
fully adopts IEEE 1394, users will be required to swap PC cards from
cameras to computers. For further information, please contact your dealer.
How long to acquire images?
- Acquire speed depends on hardware speed and the robustness of a given
computer's operating system. Kodak testing reveals the acquiring speed
under 15 seconds. While IEEE 1394 is designed to transfer data at up
to 100 megabits per second, it will be contingent upon the computer's
operating system. As IEEE 1394 evolves, incremental improvements will
allow the camera to keep pace with future computer performance.
What is the resolution in pixels?
- 2 megapixel (1160 x 1736).
Are lenses interchangeable?
- Yes, you can use any of the EOS lenses.
Can this camera be used with film?
What accessories are included with this camera?
- AC adapter, external battery charger, 2 sets of universal plugs for
external battery charger, software for both Mac and PC plug-in modules,
user manual, IEEE 1394 cable, handstrap and neck strap.
Will the storage cards lose images if dropped?
- Though made of a durable technology, the cards may break and the
images can be lost if they are dropped. As with all computer or camera
accessories, care should be exercised.
How long does the battery take to charge?
- One hour.
How many images per battery charge?
- 300. There is a dual slot battery charger that can be recharged using
AC power (90-240V, 50-60 Hz) or 12-24VDC using an auto accessory power